Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Give Me That Quiet Religion

It's a Tuesday evening around 7:15, and I was just settling down to watch a little TV, when the sweet background noise of the coquís was shattered by a religious gathering next door. The majority of islanders are Catholics, and Catholics here are loud. They bring their own powerful amplifiers wherever they go. They have guitars, cuatros, and maracas. They sing, they yell, and they pray, often at the same time. They get very excited. Many in my neighborhood take turns hosting these meetings, but this is the first time it's been right next door.

I have nothing against any (or no) religion, but these people have ruined another evening for me and my family. We can't watch TV, we can't use the telephone, we can't even have a normal conversation. There's no way to shut out the noise.

Can we talk priorities? I'm trying to watch American Chopper, and they're trying to impress god. Don't get me wrong: these are good people, the celebration is not entirely unpleasant, and I have Tivo.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Funny, in my religious days (some time ago, ahem), Catholic gatherings were pretty quiet and the Pentecostals were the loud ones. I was raised Pentecostal, and well remember the tambourines, the guitars, the loud singing, the neighbors who would shout out "go to bed!" ;)

Don Luis said...

Jen,

Oh yeah, the Pentecostals are plenty loud. We have a Pentecostal church just down the street, and they have services from Friday night through Sunday. In fact, I thought this celebration was Pentecostal until my wife told me otherwise. The Catholic church services tend to be more subdued, but Catholic prayer meetings can get downright evangelical.

Mariposa Traicionera said...

wow...i remember nights like that back in 1984!