Saturday, July 28, 2007

Blue Laws

Blue laws? We don't need no stinking blue laws. Alcohol can be purchased in any store, at any time. Rum is the favorite hard liquor, and a quart of Palo Viejo (old tree) can be had for $6 and change. Rum is consumed  straight up; I haven't seen a mixed drink since I've been here. You can also get rum in all the tienditas (small community stores).


The most popular beer is Medalla (meh-die-ya), which is made in Puerto Rico. Medalla comes in 10 ounce cans. Until recently, beer had to be  sold in 10 ounce cans by law, to prevent imports of the more popular 12  ounce cans from the mainland.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I so do miss being able to make a quick run to the closest Pueblo for a bottle of rum - although our standby is Don Q Cristal, which is another thing I miss very much!

Don Luis said...

Si, pero the pueblo is a 15 minute drive. We have two tienditas within a half a mile. They have everything from milk to hose clamps.

Palo Viejo is produced by Serrallés, as is Don Q, Ron Llave, Ron Granado, Ronrico, and Captain Morgan.

My then-future father in law introduced me to Palo Viejo, and a shot of rum for me has always been "un palito."

Don Luis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.